Middle school locked down after reports of gun shots | Crime
A Charlotte-area middle school was locked down for nearly 30 minutes on Monday after a parent reported hearing possible gun shots in the area.
According to a letter sent home, Lake Norman Charter Middle School was locked down around 9:45 a.m. Monday morning.
"A parent entering our building reported to the [middle school] office that they heard what they described as a gun shot in the area," the letter to parents stated.
As a result, the school went into an external lockdown as a safety precaution.
In the event of an external lockdown, classroom activities continue within the school, but staff and students are not permitted to exit the building. The school also locks all external entrance doors to monitor any person coming into our school buildings.
The school said the Huntersville Police Department was quick to respond to the report and conducted a thorough search of the area.
The lockdown lasted for 30 minutes, WBTV has learned, police reported that the area was secure.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lake Norman
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend