Possible outlet mall war in Charlotte ends in partnership | News
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- What was gearing up to be an aggressive fight for shoppers between two of the nation's largest retail developers ended before it even started Thursday.
Simon Properties, who own SouthPark Mall and Concord Mills, and Tanager Outlets, who run outlet centers in Mebane and in Gaffney, SC, announced that they will build one outlet center in Charlotte, rather than the previously announced two separate ones.
The companies announced that they will build the new outlet center on a tract of land at Interstate 485 and Steele Creek Road.
The complex will include 350,000 square feet of retail and food space, with the potential to expand out an additional 50,000 square feet.
The outlet center will be called Charlotte Premium Outlets and is expected to open in the spring of 2014.
Typical outlet centers run by Simon and Tanger include stores such as Banana Republic, Gap, Nike and Polo Ralph Lauren.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Lake Norman
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Woman warns people to double check their health insurance enrollment
- Two women charged with stealing mail in eastern Lincoln County
- Lincoln Co. Lieutenant named “Employee of the Year”
- Investigators find 22nd meth lab of year in Lincoln Co.
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Deputies: Man tried to burn down home after argument with mother
- Registered sex offender arrested in Michigan for sex crimes against Iredell child
- Deputies searching for man who robbed local business
- Sheriff: Gun possibly used to shoot Marco Kauffman found in Statesville
- Report: Man found hiding in bushes after attempted copper theft