High heat, maybe strong storms today | Weather
CHARLOTTE - Today will be the last of the very high heat, as a front will cross the region this evening.
New model data this morning suggests that a major squall line of showers and severe thunderstorms may indeed accompany the front as is drifts south from the foothills and across the Piedmont 4-8pm. A severe thunderstorm watch and / or warnings may be issued later today…something to monitor.
Code Orange / Ozone Action Day and Heat Advisory until 9pm for the Charlotte metro area.
Today: High heat & humidity continue, high 96°, but the heat index will run near 105° for several hours this afternoon.
A line of strong thunderstorms may form late this afternoon & evening as a front crosses the area, the main threat being damaging wind.
Tonight: Evening storms slowly die down, patchy clouds and mild overnight, low 74°.
Tomorrow: The high heat breaks, but not the humidity, scattered showers and storms are still in the forecast, high 89°.
Friday: Mostly cloudy and cool for this time of the year, showers look likely, high 85°.
Upcoming Events near Lake Norman
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend